Umicore's GASIR® chalcogenide glass is an ideal material for both high-performance infrared imaging systems and high-volume commercial applications. GASIR® can be finished with traditional manufacturing technologies as well as by molding. Coated GASIR® has a wider transmission spectrum than germanium, and GASIR® blanks are more cost-effective and more stably priced than germanium blanks.
Umicore offers two materials, GASIR1 and GASIR5. Both are available as blank materials, finished lenses or in off-the-shelf infrared lenses.
GASIR® - Optics for the Future
Our unique molding process allows us to manufacture finished asphero-diffractive lens geometry in medium to large volume production runs with a very competitive price-performance ratio. For low to medium volume needs GASIR® can be manufactured with polishing or diamond turning.
Compared to germanium, the traditional infrared material, GASIR® offers a wider transmission spectrum and much better athermalization possibilities .
GASIR®'s key advantages are:
- Cost-effective material for blanks, preforms and finished optics
- Wider spectral range than germanium. GASIR® is transparent from 0.8 µm up to 16 µm
- 8 times lower change of refractive index with temperature than germanium, allowing simple athermalized design
- Molding process allowing for high volume, cost effective optics
|Transmission domain||1.8 - 16µm||2 - 12 µm||0.5 - 22 µm||0.8 - 16 µm||0.8 - 16 µm|
|Refractive index (@10µm)||4.00||2.20||2.20||2.49||2.78|
|Abbe number (8 - 12 µm)||942||23||58||120||160|
|dn/dT at 10 µm (10-6)||396||41||61||55||32|
|Absorption coefficeint (10-3cm-1)||27||200||0.5||30||10|
|Specific weight (g/cm³)||5.32||4.08||5.27||4.40||4.62|
|Upper use temperature||70°C||-||-||240°C||155°C|
Potential applications for GASIR® include:
- Thermal imaging & Thermography
- Security and Surveillance
- Medical Imaging and Diagnostics
- Smart Sensing & IoT